Medical Records / Health Information Management
Health Information Management (HIM) Services staff
- Maintains, stores, accesses, and delivers patients' medical records and releases information as authorized by the patient
- Assists physicians in meeting medical record documentation requirements
- Assigns a code number to diagnoses and procedures for use in billing, research, and quality assurance
- Assists with identifying patients and retrieving records for research studies and audits
- Assists with the release of information requests from patients, health care providers, insurance companies, attorneys, disability services, police departments, and a variety of other authorized requestors.
Request for Amendments to your Health Information
You have the right to request amendments to your health information if you feel the records are incorrect or incomplete. If you wish to have your health information corrected or updated, please submit a written request to Hennepin Healthcare’s HIM department. Tell us what you want to be changed and why. We will respond to you in writing. If we deny your request, we will explain why, and you will have an opportunity to appeal that denial.
Where to Request Birth Certificates
To make changes to the birth certificate, call 651-201-5970 or visit the MN Department of Health Birth Record Amendments website for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can access your medical record from MyChart. Access the MyChart portal. (Limited information available)
Download the Authorization to Release Health Information form and return it to the HIM Department at 伟德体育app Forms may be received via fax, by mail, or in person. You may request your records on paper or in an electronic format.
- Fax your release form at 612-873-1516.
- Mail to:
HIM Dept. at Hennepin Healthcare, Mail Code S7
701 Park Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- In-person: For form drop-off, please leave your form in the black box near the office door of the Medical Records Office at 伟德体育app
Blue Building 1st floor (B1.114), 900 S. 8th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55415
The Health Information Management – Release of Information Department business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, and closed on Hennepin Healthcare observed holidays.
In-Person Pick Up
An appointment must be made to request that records be picked up in person. Records must be picked up by the patient or their representative. A valid photo ID is required. You can call 612-873-3180 to schedule a pickup.
Yes - you will need to create a username and password. Access the MyChart portal. Please note that limited information is available in MyChart. If you need additional records you can submit a request through mychart by going to Menu and searching for Sharehub.
You can call us at 612-873-3180 to inquire if your request has been processed and sent.
The time will vary depending on who is requesting your records. The turnaround time is as follows:
Federal and State law allow healthcare providers to process requests within 30 days of receiving the request. Most patient care and continuing care requests are processed within 2 business days.
You will need to get the authorization of the patient and/or guardian to request records. Print the Authorization to Release Health Information form.
Only the patient or authorized representative can view or receive a copy of your medical records.